New Puppy, New HomePosted 7/3/2014
Home is where the heart is, especially when you’re adding a new puppy. Bringing a new puppy into your home takes planning since there are many factors that can affect the adjustment period. Here are some helpful tips to help ease your puppy into his new home.
Introducing puppy to children
Children often don’t understand the need to be very careful with a puppy, so a responsible adult should always supervise. When you bring your puppy home, have the children sit down and let the puppy come to them. You should never leave a puppy unattended with children less than eight years of age.
Introducing older dogs
- If you have an older dog that has lived in the house for a long time, he may be resistant to sharing his space with a new puppy. Try introducing the dogs in a neutral area, such as a park, where your older dog may not be so protective. Make sure both dogs are on leashes and that you are able to control them. Let them sniff and investigate each other.
- Don’t scold the older dog if he doesn’t react the way you want him to right away. Give him plenty of time to get used to the puppy.
- Animals have their own rules, and your older pet will certainly let your young puppy know what the rules are. Everyone must be allowed a territory where they are not disturbed. Cats, in particular, must be allowed to rest in peace and quiet out of the puppy’s reach and to get acquainted with their new housemate on their own terms.
Supervised explorationLet your puppy explore his new home, but only under your supervision. The first day, block off your puppy in the rooms where you spend the most time. Reinforcing acceptable behavior is often just a matter of making a few changes in the household to prevent a curious puppy from coming into contact with items at his ‘eye’ level.
TIPS TO TAKE AWAY
- An adult should always be present when children play with a puppy.
- Confine the puppy to the areas of the house where you spend the most time.
- Introduce the puppy to existing pets gradually and carefully.